Thursday, July 18, 2013

What I love about attending a concert/or musical all by myself.

1. My date is in the orchestra
So this happens all to often around here. I'm planning on hanging out with matt on the weekend, he gets a gig, so I just hang out on the way to work and back. (Granted I probably need to be better about texting friends to meet me at these events) How many people go with their spouse to work on a date?

2. There's only room for me to carpool.
Matts Bass is enormous. Most Basses are big but Matt's is huge. It fills two seats of his little car and then I squeeze in behind the driver. I just talk to him through the mirrors. People on the road always rubber neck trying to figure out if its a human body in the case.

3. The people I meet.
It seems every concert I am sat next to the sweetest, most out going people. It never really feels like I am alone. I always plan on reading my book during intermission, or before the concert, and then Voila the people next to are all interested in me. It's awesome. I don't count on it and it doesn't always happen that way, but in the theatre and orchestral world people are nice!

4. I'm a better listener
When I'm by myself I put on those listening ears I learned to use at SJSU. (no only I called them listening ears in college)I think about form, planing, harmony, themes, ostinatos, the key, the time signature, etc. All my years of music training really pay off right then.

5. I'm figuring out my taste
I sit through the whole concert/ show and create my own conclusions about the music and then when I get in the car, we have so much to talk about. He's had the benefit of playing it in rehearsals and I'm hearing it for the first time. This way my opinion is mine because that is what i heard sitting in the audience. this is making it easier for me to decide what I like and what I don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment